Our area’s older, historical homes are built to last! There are also many beautiful, well-constructed newer homes in Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, Oak Ridge North, Shenandoah, Spring, The Woodlands, Tomball and surrounding northern Houston communities. Home construction is year-round in Texas, and it’s not surprising that many home builders don’t take into consideration the possibility of frozen pipes in winter. In this part of the country, we average below freezing temperatures only 10 days/year.
Insulation is Key to Pipe Protection
You may not have any worries about frozen pipes this year if they are strategically placed in sealed, insulated interior areas throughout your home. Your home itself provides necessary insulation. However, unprotected frozen pipes can burst and cause some very real damage to your property.
Before winter, you can:
- Insulate pipes with pipe insulation (available at hardware stores).
- Check for cracks, holes, and other openings on exterior walls that can be sealed with caulk or insulation.
- Disconnect hoses from hose bibs and put an insulating cover over the bibs.
When the weather alert is issued for 32° F or less, there are steps you can take to minimize the risk of frozen pipes which are located in un-heated or un-insulated spaces. The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) recommends:
- Turn both hot and cold faucets just enough to drip a small amount of water.
- Open cabinet and closet doors.
- Use a fan to increase warm air circulation around the water pipes.
- If you have a programmable thermostat, be careful to set the temperature high enough for continuing warmth, especially if you’re on a winter vacation.
- The best solution to preventing frozen pipes while you’re away from home is to drain the water system. You can also do this for overnight freezing temperatures.
Winter in Texas
Our cooler, crispy weather and winter holidays instill that “attitude of gratitude” in just about everyone! All of us at Bradbury Thornton Plumbing Services are grateful for our friends and neighbors for whom we provide plumbing maintenance and repair. Call 281.661.4283 or contact us if you have any questions about protecting your plumbing during the winter.