Water, water, everywhere! Seventy-one percent of our planet Earth is covered by water, but according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), we are only able to use 1%. Our population continues to grow, and there are more people depending on that 1% of water available to us. It’s up to us to find ways to preserve one of our most valuable natural resources. We need to save water.
5 Easy Ways to Save Water
If you have a camper, you know that a small water tank limits the amount of water you can use. So you take some common-sense precautions to save water. Why not use common sense to save water at home? Here are 5 easy water conservation tips:
- Turn off the tap. If you leave the water running while you brush your teeth, you are wasting up 8 gallons of water per day, or 240 gallons of water every month.
- Shorten your showers. Your bathtub can hold up to 70 gallons of water, so showering already saves as much as 60 gallons of water! You can conserve even more if you shorten your showering time to under 5 minutes.
- Lose the Leaks. If you have a drippy faucet or signs of any water leaks in your house, make it a priority to have it repaired. Even a small toilet leak can waste 200 gallons of water every day.
- Water your lawn at dusk or dawn. Don’t wait until our Texas sun is sending down white-hot heat to water your outdoor plants and yard. You’ll be losing too much water to evaporation.
- Keep drinking water cold. Here in Texas, cold water often runs hot! In August, water heats up without the hot water heater, so we run the water, waiting for it to cool before we fill a glass. Instead, fill a pitcher with water and keep it in the fridge so your family members won’t waste water.
Because We Care
Bradbury Thornton Plumbing Services is a family business, and we want to save water today for a better tomorrow for our children. Call 281.661.4283 if you have any questions about water conservation for your home or office.